Saturday 11 April 2015

The Push

The moment we've been expecting has come. Either with the death of one of their leaders or just the dawning fact that every second they wait The Brute grows in power they've begun the attack. Groups of Timberwolves swarmed the entrances as Nests began to teleport themselves inside and engage us from within.

I  fought. I knew I'd have to eventually. I used the pocket watch. It was more effective against Nests than anything else I could possibly use. Every time I killed someone I felt horrible, but I couldn't just stay passive. If I did either I'd die or I'd simply leave everyone else to die.

Killing is terrible, but I'm not naive enough to think it's never the right answer.

I didn't keep track of how many people I killed. It was easier not to think of it and just try to focus on not being killed. I came close a few times. At one point a nest managed to get out a couple of birds before I managed to touch him and I would have been bird food except Portnoy managed to kill them with his strange fire powers. The fight seemed to be going fairly well though my dreams of ending this with few casualties was being dashed with every second and then it got worse.

Faceless hadn't made an appearance during the war so far. He made one now. It was just me and Portnoy and a couple of Ordeal members who's names I didn't know and I feel bad about that considering they were all dead a few seconds later. Faceless appeared just as Portnoy cut down the last Nest we were facing and his first action was to grab the nearest Ordeal soldier and decapitate them with a Machete. Everyone turned their focus on him and bullets slammed into his body, but he paid no attention and began killing everyone around him. I froze. I didn't know what to do. The Pocket Watch didn't hurt him, bullets wouldn't hurt him and I didn't have any other way to fight him. Portnoy had no such concerns though as he lunged at Faceless, who had just stabbed another person in the chest. Portnoy's fire blade slashed through Faceless' back and Faceless let out a grunt then turned pulling his Machete out of the poor guy's chest.

"Ah Portnoy. Been a while," he said.

"It has," Portnoy responded, "but you're not Faceless. Tell me Gravedigger. How long has it actually been since we met in that desert?"

"Too long. When you were alone, I comforted you. I spoke to you. I helped you. When you were beaten I took you in, protected you. You abandoned me then, sided with my enemy. Is this what you call gratitude?"

"Your mercy erased my mind and replaced my life," Portnoy responded.

"I took away your pain," The Archangel/Faceless responded.

"You took away my life!" Portnoy yelled and attacked again.

Faceless seemed to actually be surprised by this attack and staggered back as Portnoy shoved his blade up to the hilt in Faceless' chest. Faceless stood motionless then backhanded Portnoy with enough force to slam him against the wall. He then pulled the sword out and glanced at me.

"Hey Amanda... I see you're still alive. Heard about your girlfriend. Sad... I know," he stepped toward me and his form shifted becoming Lisa, "I'll let you see her again,"

I screamed and lunged at him. He smiled with her face and prepared to catch me and was caught by surprise when I suddenly ducked around him and ran out into a hallway. He gave chase and I continued running. I ran through more fighting which unfortunately led to him killing a few more Ordeal members on the way. Eventually though I reached my destination and he followed me in. It was the cells. Harold and Muffin were both here and behind them there was an open door in a wall. A door that went to the impossible. The Archangel froze and tried to disappear, but Muffin drew out one of The Second's daggers. The one The Second had stabbed him with in fact and tossed it into The Archangel's chest. Black electricity crackled through his body and he was trapped. He tried to flee, but The Brute was in the doorway behind him and tackled him forcing him through The Door. Harold followed after him and Muffin nodded to me before entering as well. The Door closed behind them.

I feel a bit unfortunate that I didn't get to see The Fight that took place in the ruins of The Empty City. It was probably amazing.

The fighting petered out after news started to leak about what happened. With two of their leaders dead The enemy forces began to retreat with The Dove. After that The Timberwolves left completely with their leader dead and their god having apparently been defeated I guess they didn't feel like still fighting. The Archangel isn't dead. The Brute couldn't kill him, just destroy his form. Harold thinks that The Archangel won't be able to manifest again for a while. With just The Dove left I think this war is almost over.

No comments:

Post a Comment