Friday 27 February 2015

Infernal Knowledge

Woke up bright and early in the morning feeling tired as hell for some reason.

Had another dream as well. This one seemed weird though and I don't think I could describe it. Some weird indescribable creature and another weird indescribable creature traveling through an area full of dead versions of the indescribable creatures and then one wasn't really dead and everything started coalescing into some entirely new creature made out of parts of the other indescribable creatures which doesn't even make sense, but I have no idea how to explain to you why it doesn't make sense.

Two possibilities. Either this is the first actually normal dream I've ever had or that actually happened somewhere in the multiverse. Either way weird. Also mentally exhausting occasionally.

So, anyway, mentally exhausted and confused was the state of mind I was in when we went to see Universal Prince who apparently decided I should have to solve a riddle before actually meeting him.

You can probably guess I was not feeling up for it especially since the riddle is What is a "Universal Prince"?

In less rushed and angry terms we went to the place and were told to wait in a lobby. It was rather nice. Looked like a living room sort of. Had a couple of couches, some chairs, a fireplace and a bright colour scheme of reds and blues. We waited there for a bit and then a voice began addressing us over a speaker.

"Lisa! Amanda! So glad you came. I am The Universal Prince and I'll meet you in just a moment, but first I want you to know exactly what you're dealing with so answer me a quick question. What is a 'universal prince?'"

After a few seconds of thought I answered "That guy from The Katamari games?" which was met with polite laughter and a no.

He said he'd give us a hint every few minutes if we didn't get it and otherwise he'd just let us think.

The first hint ended up coming about 4 minutes later. "What does the universe contain?"

We thought about that one for a bit and after a bit of arguing about whether in a known multiverse the universe could still be said to contain everything we settled on "everything".

The next hint came a bit later when the intercom began talking about playing cards and how strange it was that there was no prince in playing cards or that if there was it was at least not referred to by that title.

Anyone with half a brain could have figured out that hint though and so I blurted out.

"So the hint is something about the Jack?" and since I'm not a complete idiot everything else immediately fell into place.

"The Universal Prince would be the Jack of Everything or in other terms The Jack of All?" I queried.

There was satisfied laughter from the intercom. "Yes. The Universal Prince is The Jack of All," the voice, who I'm sure was not Jack, but on retrospect have no idea who it was, confirmed.

Of course then, me not being suicidal, I began to leave. The door was gone though. Instead another door had appeared and the speaker was gone too. From the door a voice I did recognize as The Jack of All called to us.

"Don't run away just yet. I wanted you to know who I was so you'd be able to make this choice entirely of your own volition, but first I need to tell you what the choice is. If you leave you'll certainly die, ignorant of your purpose. If you stay you will most likely die, but you will know your purpose and also learn about the strange trinket you recently found," Jack informed me.

During this Lisa had apparently been stunned by the revelation more than I had and only now spoke. "I'm sorry, Amanda. I didn't know. We'll leave now and I'm quitting this job immediately," she spoke hurriedly.

I shushed her. I know it's stupid, but the offer was... well it was too good. I knew I was important I knew I had a purpose and this was a chance to find out about it... Also the pocketwatch. It's possible if he hadn't mentioned the pocketwatch I still would have turned him down, but the possibility of learning about it was too tempting. I went and opened the door.

Jack was sitting behind what looked like a teacher's desk. There was a classroom desk in front and he gestured for me to sit. I turned back to look for Lisa, but the door had disappeared and she was gone. There was no other exit so I sat.

"You know all about me from your dreams, correct?" he asked. I nodded.

"You remember what I told Muffy and his friends about the true nature of this game?" I nodded again.

"About how I am The Devil?" Another nod.

"About God?"

"Yes get to the point!" I growled. He grinned.

"Well do you remember what I said about the third one?" I began to nod, but stopped.

"The Man in Grey is the balance? The Grim Reaper? I remember that, but I've never had a dream in which he appeared. I don't really know much about him. I know some stuff... The Archive and The Ordeal told me a little. How he shows up at disasters... he has a pocketwatch doesn't he?" I asked.

"He did. He lost it though. Dropped it in a bus station shortly before a massacre took place there. Dropped it where it would be picked up as he knew it would," Jack informed me. I drew it out of my pocket and looked at it. Grey, tarnished... Old... Very old. It seemed less enchanting now and more foreboding.

"He dropped it where he knew you would find it. He wanted you to have it,"

"Why?"

"If I knew that I wouldn't have a reason to be so concerned. All I do know is that The three of us have used agents throughout history. I've used The Fears, God has used various mortals and in the past The Reaper has used monstrous creatures that put my own creations to shame. Now however it seems his agent of choice is you. Those dreams of yours come from him too," Jack explained to me.

"Did... Did you just say you're concerned?" I asked the rest of the information would take a bit longer to process and the idea something I did concerned The Devil was the only thought that had settled at the time.

"The Reaper only acts when something has offset his balance. Usually it's a minor event and he cleans it up only causing minor setbacks to my plans or God's. This time however, I'm worried that I myself might have tipped the scales and I am not ashamed to admit I am terrified of how he plans to set things right,"

"Why don't you just kill me then?" My mouth asked before my brain could stop it.

"Oh trust me. I'd love to, but at the moment he's using agents and that means I have to as well. If I make a direct move first there's nothing stopping him from doing the same and I'd prefer to play the hand I'm fairly sure I can win. You were wrong when you thought The Fears were hunting you before, but now they will be," he stood up, "I am however a sporting gentlemen. Not all of my words have sunk in just yet so I'll give you time to process before I set the dogs on you. Goodbye and tell Lisa her services will no longer be required whether she quits or not," he explained and then he and the room vanished and I was back in the lobby with Lisa.

"What happened?" she asked.

"He no longer requires your services and we need to get the hell out of here," I answered.

I wasn't surprised to find that the rooms at the hotel had retroactively been unpaid for and none of the staff remembered us. That was fine though, I wouldn't of stayed there another night anyway. I told Lisa we had to get away and so we began to travel away from the city. We traveled until night fell and then kept going. We then traveled all of today, or I guess yesterday now and finally collapsed a few hours ago at a small roadstop restaurant. We're staying here for a bit and then moving on.

I guess this is what I was waiting for... I guess this is what I secretly wanted.

I'm important... I have a purpose... and everyone I know and love is going to die as a result.

No comments:

Post a Comment